With regards to SEO, let’s review a couple basic concepts: 1. You are doing SEO for the GoogleBot, not humans. The result will be a higher Page Rank, which gives you a shot at a page 1 organic listing in Google, which should bring you lots of free traffic.
2. You can only optimize a single web page for a single search phrase. If you have 20 phrases you want to rank high for in Google then you need 20 different pages (URLs) on your site (one for each phrase).
3. There are 2 types of SEO:
- On-page (using the key phrase in correct places on the page you are trying to optimize)
- Off-page (getting links to each of your pages with the optimal anchor text).
4. On-page is about 20% of the equation. Off-page is the other 80%. Off-page takes more time, and On-page needs to be done first.
Step 1: Find your key phrases.
Choose your top 20 (or 50) phrases by using the Google Keyword Tool. Find the highest frequency relevant phrases you can, and put them in a spreadsheet.
The singular version of a phrase is different than the plural (³musician² is not the same as ³musicians²). If you want to optimize for both then you will need 2 pages in your site (one page for the singular and one page for the plural). Likewise, word order matters: ³music brand² is different than ³brand music².
Next, in the spreadsheet assign each phrase to a different URL in your site. Your most popular (or relevant) phrase should be assigned to your home page.
If you have more phrases than URLs then you need to create new pages of content for your site. Remember, these are mostly for the robots, not humans, so it¹s okay if they’re kind of weak pages as long as they have info related to the phrase you¹re optimizing for and link to your home page. (Each page should have at least 200 words on it, if possible.)
Step 2: On-page optimization
For each phrase/URL pair you must use the phrase in several key areas:
- name of the file (url)
- title tag
- meta description
- h1 tag
- body copy of the page (a few times)
- at least once in the b, i, em, or strong tags in the body copy
- an image on the page has a file name key-phrase.jpg (use your key phrase in the image file name). Likewise, use alt text for the img equal to the key phrase.
Step 3: Off-page optimization
Once you have done on-page optimization for your phrase you want to get external links back to each url for with the anchor text equal to the phrase that page is optimized for. You can do this through:
- Article databases (Ezinearticles.com, and many others.
- Forum posting (even if no-follow because it helps your link profile look natural)
- Social bookmarking (digg, delicious, etc)
- Guest blogging (write blog entries for others in exchange for a link back)
- Paid blog posts (pay others to write about you)
This last bit, off-page optimization, will take every available hour that you give to it. It’s an ongoing task that only ends when you are satisfied with your ranking for each phrase you are targeting. Do a little bit each day, and do it every day.About Author : Mike Scanlin is the CEO of Born To Sell, a web site for covered call investors. The strategy helps investors increase yield from stocks and ETFs they own by selling call options against them.